forum.aledorn.com

Dungeons of Aledorn
It is currently 2018-07-22 23:36

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Backer's comments
PostPosted: 2016-05-18 10:59 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 2015-09-01 09:36
Posts: 27
Location: Prague
There is space for your comments on the alpha version!

_________________
Game Designer


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Backer's comments
PostPosted: 2016-05-23 22:32 
Offline
Black bear
Black bear

Joined: 2016-01-20 18:42
Posts: 6
First of all, congratulations!

After this first look, I have high hopes for the finished game. A few more animations (of NPC's) would be great, but once I saw the monsters moving around the map I knew that it wasn't a bad dream :P

The targeting of melee attacks could use a bit more work, it's too easy to accidentally walk around the guy instead of hitting him while he's next to me.

More ambient sounds for surfaces please; like splashing sounds when walking through the water in the swamp. Animated water would have been great, but it's not required. ;)

A victory animation or at least music after winning a battle while still on the combat screen would be great for a smoother transition between 3rd person and 1st person view.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how stable the alpha is (no crashes/ UI glitches) and also thumbs up for the paperdolls. Other, better financed projects (like Bard's Tale IV) have no animated paperdolls planned. Awesome for an indie project!

Lastly, I have to criticize one thing: the writing. Guys, your texts need more flavor. Call it drama, or style; it doesn't have either of these yet. It's EXTREMELY basic, generic and boring. The dialogue with the bandits was the only one that was somewhat ok.
I hope you can still hire a professional writer... if not, heck, I'd love to help you guys out with that. Just contact me. :)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Backer's comments
PostPosted: 2016-05-24 17:53 
Offline
Black wolf
Black wolf

Joined: 2015-11-12 15:10
Posts: 1
Location: Nantes, France
alpha looks promising

just to tell I just found an untranslated dialog when talking with Iaia :

http://tof.canardpc.com/view/a11c040f-b ... bcd517.jpg


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Backer's comments
PostPosted: 2016-05-24 18:28 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 2015-09-01 09:36
Posts: 27
Location: Prague
AbounI wrote:
alpha looks promising

just to tell I just found an untranslated dialog when talking with Iaia :

http://tof.canardpc.com/view/a11c040f-b ... bcd517.jpg


Thank you for the warning. I'll add to the bug report.

Nef

_________________
Game Designer


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Backer's comments
PostPosted: 2016-05-25 10:02 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 2015-09-01 09:36
Posts: 27
Location: Prague
SvenHerzig wrote:
First of all, congratulations!

After this first look, I have high hopes for the finished game. A few more animations (of NPC's) would be great, but once I saw the monsters moving around the map I knew that it wasn't a bad dream :P

Nef: NPCs have no animations and sounds in the current state. Of course, it is planned for the further versions. There is no need to be worried.
SvenHerzig wrote:
The targeting of melee attacks could use a bit more work, it's too easy to accidentally walk around the guy instead of hitting him while he's next to me.

Nef: This is a known issue that will be solved by adding an option to confirm your planned route and actions by another click. This shoud reduce the chance of misclicks.
SvenHerzig wrote:
More ambient sounds for surfaces please; like splashing sounds when walking through the water in the swamp. Animated water would have been great, but it's not required. ;)

Nef: In general, all sounds and music haven't still been worked on properly. We consider it less important than other major issues such as gameplay and graphics.
SvenHerzig wrote:
A victory animation or at least music after winning a battle while still on the combat screen would be great for a smoother transition between 3rd person and 1st person view.

Nef: The transition between battles and 3D view still lacks a final report screen with experience gains or another type of aftermath info.
SvenHerzig wrote:
I was very pleasantly surprised at how stable the alpha is (no crashes/ UI glitches) and also thumbs up for the paperdolls. Other, better financed projects (like Bard's Tale IV) have no animated paperdolls planned. Awesome for an indie project!

Nef: Resolving bugs was the main reason for postponing the alpha version so much. Although there is still one known hard-freezing issue, it is very difficult for anyone to reach it. Both me and our lead programmer (Arbiter) decided to release the alpha version despite that issue and find out how much the game is tested by our backers :)
SvenHerzig wrote:
Lastly, I have to criticize one thing: the writing. Guys, your texts need more flavor. Call it drama, or style; it doesn't have either of these yet. It's EXTREMELY basic, generic and boring. The dialogue with the bandits was the only one that was somewhat ok.
I hope you can still hire a professional writer... if not, heck, I'd love to help you guys out with that. Just contact me. :)

Nef: We are aware of this unpleasant shortcoming. It is necessary to hire an experienced writer in the future. Unfortunately we cannot accept your offer since we need someone who speaks not only English but also Czech - the Czech version is our primary goal.

_________________
Game Designer


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Backer's comments
PostPosted: 2016-05-26 08:04 
Offline
Black bear
Black bear

Joined: 2016-01-20 18:42
Posts: 6
Nefarit wrote:
Nef: The transition between battles and 3D view still lacks a final report screen with experience gains or another type of aftermath info.


Excellent. One suggestion: the victory screen should offer some info on loot, maybe even the option to select and pick up the loot. Looking through the corpses in 3D view might be a bit of a hassle.

Quote:
Nef: Resolving bugs was the main reason for postponing the alpha version so much. Although there is still one known hard-freezing issue, it is very difficult for anyone to reach it. Both me and our lead programmer (Arbiter) decided to release the alpha version despite that issue and find out how much the game is tested by our backers :)


I'm just taking a quick look until there's more content - say, beta.

Quote:
Unfortunately we cannot accept your offer since we need someone who speaks not only English but also Czech - the Czech version is our primary goal.


Interesting... I guess this has something to do with the additional source of funding? ;)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Backer's comments
PostPosted: 2016-06-16 04:39 
Offline
Werewolf
Werewolf

Joined: 2015-11-12 15:09
Posts: 1
Want to give a big thank you for the news and the alpha, had been worried for some time that something went badly with the project.


Downloaded and ran through the alpha, was nice to see and I could not seem to find a way to crash it so it seemed solid enough. Did try the battle demo as well and it worked well enough, can only think of a few small things at the moment:

1. Noticed that some of the sound effects were very loud at times, most notably the bird chirping at the fork in the road.

2. Within combat, I did notice the same problem Sven reported, occasionally it was difficult to perform an attack from certain angles/positions.

3. Combat feedback would be helpful to have, it took me some time to realize that the reason I couldn't perform certain abilities was because the character ran out of MP or actions for the turn. Some little pop up or notification that you don't have the required MP/action/etc would be great to have.

4. Mouse look or a look toggle mode would be great to have before the larger areas are finished, having to hold the right mouse button down all the time did strain my fingers some.

5. Not sure if this was intentional or not, but I did find that you could not only jump up trees but walk/run up them as well. Did notice this the most with the trees beyond the bandits, awkward but did get some great views of the village using a couple of them.


Other than that it looks solid enough in my opinion for an alpha, really looking forward to seeing how it progresses. Also hoping for a way to recover health/stamina/mp is being planned in the future during combat, looks very easy to run out! And hearing news about development between lengths of time helps even if it's just talking about snag or if it's hit a slow point.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Backer's comments
PostPosted: 2016-06-22 13:20 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 2015-09-01 09:36
Posts: 27
Location: Prague
Hke65 wrote:
1. Noticed that some of the sound effects were very loud at times, most notably the bird chirping at the fork in the road.

We haven’t spent too much time on picking suitable sound effects so far and thus we are aware of their poor quality. Sounds and music will be completely reworked in the final release.
Hke65 wrote:
2. Within combat, I did notice the same problem Sven reported, occasionally it was difficult to perform an attack from certain angles/positions.

Yes, this is probably the most serious issue in the current state. We chose the camera angle on purpose to reduce the sight distance but unfortunately it brought those problems with selecting characters and objects. We need to work on it a bit more.
Hke65 wrote:
3. Combat feedback would be helpful to have, it took me some time to realize that the reason I couldn't perform certain abilities was because the character ran out of MP or actions for the turn. Some little pop up or notification that you don't have the required MP/action/etc would be great to have.

We are planning to add a combat log and some visual and text notifications as well.
Hke65 wrote:
4. Mouse look or a look toggle mode would be great to have before the larger areas are finished, having to hold the right mouse button down all the time did strain my fingers some.

We understand your discomfort about the old-school control system but it is necessary to have a mouse cursor available on screen rather than free-look (as it was in older games). Searching for objects around you to investigate them or pick them up is an essesntial part of the gameplay. However, there will be an option to activate “free-look” as default and hold ALT key to show the cursor.
Hke65 wrote:
5. Not sure if this was intentional or not, but I did find that you could not only jump up trees but walk/run up them as well. Did notice this the most with the trees beyond the bandits, awkward but did get some great views of the village using a couple of them.

The “squirrel mode” is not intentional of course :) Our tree models have irregular colliders and for some unknown reasons the Unity considers them suitable for climbing. It will be fixed soon.
Hke65 wrote:
Other than that it looks solid enough in my opinion for an alpha, really looking forward to seeing how it progresses. Also hoping for a way to recover health/stamina/mp is being planned in the future during combat, looks very easy to run out! And hearing news about development between lengths of time helps even if it's just talking about snag or if it's hit a slow point.

Any type of regeneration during battles is intentionally reduced to minimum. Stamina can be partially regained by using the “Rest” action but significant health/MP regeneration must be done by camping and spending extra time (in higher difficulties you are given only limited number of in-game days to finish certain story-related objectives and therefore you are forced not to waste your resources thoughtlessly).

Thank you for your alpha testing and your feedback.
Nefarit, Team 21

for the translation thank my friend Radovan

_________________
Game Designer


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Theme Created by HOLLYSMOKE
Theme updated to phpBB 3.1.3 by KamijouTouma